Friday, November 19, 2010

Salquil Grande Hoops

I found some guys who enjoy shooting hoops so I’ve brought my basketball game up here. There’s a muddy court we play streetball on in the foggy evenings. Our own Rucker Park and while I’m not exactly “The Goat” or “Black Jesus”, I can dominate. (I need to get an awesome nickname like those two guys. Sweet Dan Jennings?) As much as I’d love to say it’s more than just the height factor, it mainly is the height factor. What they lack in height the make up for with speed. They’re much quicker than I am. They’re in better shape and they’re used to playing at this altitude. I gotta get in better shape. I’m no Derrick Coleman.

I do love me some streetball. Their version of 21 is a little odd. I’ve played it numerous times and still don’t quite understand it. I’m such a sucker for a game of basketball. The other day I was sick and they called me out to play. See: The Flu Game. Ok so I exaggerate. Anyways apparently there is a somewhat semi-thrown together league or let’s just say a group of teams. Last year my team were the Lakers, this year they’re the Bobcats. That’s right they asked me to name the team. Apparently we’re getting jerseys (!?) made: blue, outlined with white with Los Bobcats printed on the front. We’ll see how those turn out. I’m not exactly sure they’ll resemble the real Bobcats uniforms. We’ve got a game tomorrow night and I’m pretty excited to see how these Nebajenses run the floor. What I learned playing in Sacatepequez is not to assume your height will carry the game. We got trounced a few times. Some of these cats can ball.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Daniel, I hope you are doing well in Salquil. I spent quite a bit of time up in the Ichil triangle back in the late 70's and early 80's. Back then the Corp members I knew were working on the bee-keeping project. We used to hang out at the Tres Hermanas, probably long gone now. I'm trying to locate an ex PC member form that period named Dan who was stationed in Nebaj. He used to play the accordion and was well known in Guat City during the 1980's Please help if possible. Can you get his last name of email address for me? Many thank, William Clary, Professor of Spanish at University of the Ozarks.

    ReplyDelete