Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Movies with my brothers and sisters

The kids in my family love to watch movies, which is cool with me. No matter how horribly dubbed the film is I think it’s a great way to practice my Spanish, an opportunity which in this Ixil speaking town, is very rare. Also if the film only has Spanish subtitles it can be absolutely hilarious because many times what is being said on screen and what’s appearing as the translation are completely different. The kids mainly get a hold of shitty comedies and action movies like Wayans Brothers films or The Fast and the Furious. But whatever the movie, sitting and watching with them is great. Their eyes full of wonder I find myself laughing with them in their joy even if the movie is terrible. I’d been trying to find a good way to connect with them since I’m busy all day and we don’t get to spend much time together. I figured that laughter is a perfect way. The only movies I brought that I thought might appeal to them are Beverly Hills Cop and The Naked Gun but alas those don’t have Spanish subtitles. When they were looking through my DVD’s they pointed out Wet Hot American Summer because of the colorful disc but I made it clear that that was a definite no. Too adult, plus I don’t think they would get the humor.

It’s often hit or miss with my brothers and sisters. Sometimes I can predict whether they’ll like the movie before we watch it and other times not. Example: I showed them Kick-Ass the other night because with the exception of candy, there is nothing children like better than violent action movies. It was a success. They were enthralled watching little kids kill bad guys and I was pleased by their excitement. Other times I miss the mark. I figured they like dumb, silly comedies so I showed them Zoolander which is about as mindless a comedy as there is and I only got a couple chuckles. Slapstick translates the best. I need to get a hold of some Jim Carrey movies. They loved The Mask.

Anyways last night I had an unexpected success, kind of. I’m a big fan of Eddie Murphy’s 1980’s comedies (48 Hrs., Beverly Hills Cop, Coming to America, etc.). I don’t know what he’s doing now with Norbit and The Adventures of Pluto Nash but his work in the 80s was gold. John, the volunteer I replaced left me some movies that he bought down here including one of my personal favorite Eddie Murphy films: Trading Places. Although the original unedited version is superior, if you had cable growing up you’ve probably seen the edited version on television. This movie is on Comedy Central more times than Law & Order is on USA network. I had the movie and I was dying to watch it and the kids noticed I had a movie they hadn’t seen (it could have been any movie for all they cared) and they begged me to put it on. Again the humor isn’t exactly silly, slapstick type stuff so I warned them that they probably wouldn’t enjoy it but they insisted. Well we put it in and by the end it was just my oldest brother Carlos (19) and I watching it and although it lost its effect on the younger kids, he was getting it. He would crack up and turn to me to point out something funny that had happened. It was perfect. It was great to spend some time with just him. We both have busy schedules and most of the time I watch the movies with the younger ones who are more often around than Carlos. I know he wants to hang out and I want to hang out with him so it’s good that we get the older sibling bonding time. I invited him to shoot hoops once but he couldn’t. Perhaps next time. While the language is definitely a barrier we can both share laughter at funny movies.

On another note, Lauren Marentette, a good friend of mine in high school gave birth to a beautiful baby boy yesterday and I just wanted to note how wonderful that is and that I'm very happy for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment