Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Hoop Dreams

8/22/10
On Sunday the festival was in full swing. Lots of bombas and fireworks, a bicycle race, the ferris wheel turning and Guatemaltecos eating street tacos. The town was full of excitement by the time I waltzed in. A lot of people were gathered around the basketball court where two teams were about to play. I mentioned to Eric's father that I wanted to shoot around a little and the next thing I know, he's told a coach and I'm being sent home to change clothes. Just like that San Bartolome drafted me.

I thought we were going to just be playing an informal game but it turned out it was a four team tournament. I guess they just picked me because of my height (I was easily the tallest person on team). It was fun playing center. I always wanted to do the tip off. All of the teams had uniforms (some with the players’ names on them). My favorite was the "Blakers" who wore Cavaliers colors. I was the only player on my team who didn’t have a uniform on. We were definitely the worst team in the tournament but I had a lot of fun. I didn't play as well as I'd liked but it's difficult just coming in without knowing plays or anything. There is a bit of a show being the only gringo on the court. Every time I blocked a shot or stole the ball I would receive a loud applause, while a missed shot or bad pass would generate laughter. I had only thought we'd be shooting around. I didn't realize I had been enlisted in a tournament and after a full day of hoops I was completely wiped. It was great fun and hopefully I'll get a chance to play some more. It was good to start to establish a reputation in the town as someone who wants to come out and interact and play with others.

That night I dragged my tired body into bed and escaped to America, drifting off with some tunes (currently it’s been nothing but Prince, I’ve listened to “I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man” probably 20 times in the last 3 days). I passed out quickly under the warm ponchos. I can say this for my time here so far: there are no wasted days, and I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment